This delectable trifle will is a delightful end to any holiday meal—both by taste, and by looks!
“As a child I always looked forward to Christmas Day for two reasons, one was to open my Christmas presents and the other was to taste my Great Aunty Stella’s Christmas Trifle. I hope you also enjoy this.”-Godfrey Xuereb, Ambassador of Malta
🇲🇹 Malta: Aunty Stella’s Christmas Trifle
- Cooked sponge cake
- 1 packet strawberry Jell-O 3 ounces
- 1 ¼ cups ricotta cheese
- 1 ¼ cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Any liqueur of your choice
- Candied cherries
- Walnuts or roasted almonds
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 2 ½ cups whole milk divided
- 1/3 cup custard powder
- Begin by preparing the custard. Add the sugar and 2 cups of the milk to a small saucepan. Heat on medium until it starts to boil.
- Dilute the custard powder in the remaining 1/2 cup of milk and add it to the boiled milk. Cook for a few minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and leave it to cool.
- Slice the sponge cake thickly and cover the bottom of a large serving dish with the cut slices.
- Prepare the strawberry Jell-O following the instructions on the packet, but using only two thirds of the amount of water indicated. Pour the Jell-O mixture over the sponge cake slices and let them soak.
- Once the sponge cake is well soaked with the Jell-O, spread the custard on top. Place in fridge until the custard sets.
- Cream the heavy cream and ricotta cheese in a mixing bowl. Add the sugar and your chosen liqueur. Mix well.
- Spread the ricotta mixture over the custard.
- Decorate with cherries and walnuts or roasted almonds.
- Chill in refrigerator for 1-2 hours before serving.