Looking for a new holiday roast? Replace your turkey with a duck by trying out this hearty Czech recipe, and be sure to serve it with potato dumplings.
“A Czech traditional festive dish—crispy duck with sides of cabbage and dumplings. This is an original recipe dating back to the 17th century with two very different types of dumplings, flour and potato based. The red and white cabbages serve as a testament to our neighbors, both in the North and South. The large pieces of duck have been made in the same style since around the 1860s. It is one plate with a lot of good, hearty food mixed with a long history—just like Europe.“
– HYNEK KMONICEK, AMBASSADOR OF THE CZECH REPUBLIC
🇨🇿 Czechia: Roast Duck with Cabbage
- 1 Duck
- 1 Red cabbage shredded
- 1 White cabbage shredded (can substitute more red cabbage, if need be)
- 2 Onions
- Caraway seeds
- Clean the duck thoroughly and rinse in lukewarm water. Dry and season with caraway seeds, pepper, and salt and place in a baking dish.
- Pour in a half-cup of water and roast at 360°F for two hours, basting constantly. When done, divide into portions. Use some of the fat from roasting to fry the diced onion, add the red cabbage and the portions of duck; baste with juices and stew briefly under a lid.
- Serve with red and white cabbage and potato and/or bread dumplings.