Try your hand at this traditional Luxembourgish holiday dish, featuring foods the entire family will love: dumplings and bacon!
“We are sharing with you one of our absolute favorite Luxembourgish meals—Kniddelen matt Speck. This dish is such an incredible comfort food, especially during the cold winter months–and so easy to prepare. In addition, you will find all the ingredients you need for this comfort food right here in DC!”
-NICOLE BINTNER-BAKSHIAN, AMBASSADOR OF LUXEMBOURG
🇱🇺 Kniddelen matt Speck
- 4 Cups All-purpose flour
- 2 tsp Salt
- 4 Large eggs
- 1 Cup Milk
Bacon Cream Sauce
- 8 oz Bacon thinly sliced or diced
- 1 Tbsp Unsalted butter
- 1 Cup Heavy cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Mix in the eggs and milk to create a thick batter without any lumps. Cover and allow to rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Pour some of the hot water into a heat-proof small glass or container and place it nearby.
- Dip a small spoon into the hot water, then pull a teaspoon-sized piece of dough from the batter and drop into the pot. Repeat with a few more pieces, dipping the spoon into the hot water in between to prevent sticking. But be careful and don’t overload the pot! (I usually do this in about 3-4-batches.)
- Simmer the Luxembourgish dumplings until they rise to the surface. To make sure they are tender they will need a further 30 seconds. Use a slotted spoon to drain and transfer the Luxembourgish dumplings to a serving platter. Repeat with remaining batter. While the Kniddelen are simmering, prepare the bacon cream sauce.
- In a large pan, melt butter over medium heat. Once melted, add the bacon and cook, stirring occasionally, until crisp.
- Drain excess fat, then add the cream to the pan over medium low heat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer the cream sauce with bacon briefly until slightly thickened. Keep on low heat until remaining dumplings have cooked.
- Top the warm Kniddelen with the bacon cream sauce and serve immediately with the parsley garnish on top.