These Slovakian traditional Christmas Cinnamon Stars are easy to prepare, and taste as wonderful as they look. A perfect holiday dessert for the whole family to make, bake, and enjoy!
“As the Christmas season is approaching we are happy to present our favorite Slovak recipe that can be cherished by both kids and grown-ups: Christmas cinnamon stars. We hope they will become a part of your Christmas season delight.”
– AGNESA ZALEZAKOVA, SLOVAKIAN CHEF
🇸🇰 Slovakia: Cinnamon Stars
- 2 egg whites
- A pinch of salt
- ½ tablespoon vanilla sugar
- 10 ½ tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 7 tablespoons ground hazelnuts
- 7 tablespoons ground almonds
- Preheat the oven to 340°F.
- With a mixer, beat the egg whites, and add pinch of salt.
- Once the egg whites are well beaten, gradually add the vanilla sugar and the powdered sugar to the mixture. Beat until well mixed. Set two tablespoons of the mixture aside as a glaze for later.
- Add the rest of ingredients (2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon, all purpose flour, ground hazelnuts and ground almonds) into the mixer and continue beating to prepare the dough.
- The dough comes out very sticky, so before rolling it out sprinkle the powdered sugar on the working surface.
- Roll out the dough to about one-third of an inch in thickness.
- Use cookie cutter to cut out stars and place them on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush the stars with the glaze set aside in step 3.
- Add halved or whole almonds on the top of each star (optional).
- Bake for 11 minutes.
- We recommend storing the stars in an airtight container to soften.