This Maltese drink is a unique mixture of sweet and savory that is sure to warm you up!
“This is what we call Christmas in a bowl! A heart-warming traditional Maltese chocolaty drink with chestnuts.”
– KEITH AZZOPARDI, AMBASSADOR OF MALTA
🇲🇹 Malta: Imbuljuta
- 3 ½ Cups dried chestnuts
- 1 ½ Cups sugar
- ⅓ Cup drinking chocolate (can substitute melted chocolate or cocoa powder)
- 2 ½ oz dark chocolate chopped
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- Grated rind of 1 tangerine
- 2 Tbsp mixed spice cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves
- Wash the chestnuts thoroughly.
- Place them in a large bowl and cover with water. Leave to soak overnight (roughly 12 hours).
- The next day, remove any loose pieces of skin.
- Add chestnuts to a deep pot.
- Add sugar, drinking chocolate, dark chocolate, orange rind, tangerine rind, and mixed spice. Add enough water to cover the ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and continue cooking on medium heat for about 45 minutes.
- Chestnuts should be tender. It not, continue cooking until they are, making sure to add more water if the mixture starts to dry out.
- Serve hot.