This traditional Dutch drink is a lot like eggnog, but slightly thicker—and slightly stronger. Be sure to continue whisking throughout as the mixture will thicken up if you let it sit!
🇳🇱 Netherlands: Advocaat
- Small saucepan
- Mixing bowl
- 6 Egg yolks
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Cognac
- 2 Tbsp Cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Whipped cream optional
- Cocoa powder optional
- Put the egg yolks, salt, and sugar into a mixing bowl and beat until thickened.
- Once thickened, continue beating while slowly pouring in Cognac and cream.
- Pour into saucepan over low heat. Continue beating for 5-10 minutes, until mixture starts to simmer (it should be thick!).
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Place pot onto a trivet and into refrigerator for ~1 hour to let cool.
- Serve in small glasses; each pour should be 3-5 oz.
- Top with whipped cream and cocoa powder if desired!